QB Thought process for analyzing a pass play
I. What is the defensive personnel in the game?
- A. What are the protection capabilities?
- B. What does it take to “go hot” — i.e. a sight adjust or automatic route (if applicable to the protection call); in other words, who must blitz to trigger this?
- C. What does it take for a route adjustment from the receivers?
II. What is my pre-snap read?
- A. Is the theory of the play acceptable when compared to the anticipated defense? (Is the defense still shifting?)
- If not acceptable, what is the best available audible?
- If acceptable (pre-snap, at least), are there route adjustments based on the pre-snap alignment of the secondary? Does the drop need to change?
- A. What is my read (be alert for secondary rotation)?
- B. What is my progression?
- If man?
- If zone?
- Who do I “see” (if zone)?
- C. What is my drop?
IV. Game situation in decision making process
- A. Down and distance (time)
- B. Match-ups by personnel (where are our studs?)
- C. Best route runner for specific situations
Hat tip to Bill Mountjoy for the above.
Update: A few extra notes on the above.