The (excellent) Andy Staples of SI.com did a great bit on high school team nicknames recently. Among the best names Staples pointed out were the Stuyvesant Peglegs, Dunbar Poets, Watersmeet Nimrods, Cary Imps, and, the winner, Cairo Syrupmakers.
As good as this list is, it leaves out some other ridiculous ones from around the country. The best of the rest, as it were, must be the Yuma “Criminals.” I’m serious. Don’t believe me? Watch them enter the game by following two squadcars.
Not to be outdone are the Ribet Academy Fighting Frogs:
Or, maybe my favorite, the Laurel Hill Hoboes:
Here’s the logo for the Watersmeet Nimrods:
Also good are the Live Oak Acorns:
Finally, here is a non-exhaustive list of some other good names:
- Chinook Sugar Beeters
- Avon Old Farms Winged Beavers (Avon, Connecticut)
- Blooming Prairie Awesome Blossoms (Blooming Prarie, Minnesota)
- Poca Dots (Poca, West Virginia)
- Orofino Maniacs (Orofino, Idaho)
- Hickman Kewpies (Columbia, Missouri)
- Kaukauna Galloping Ghosts (Kaukauna, Wisconsin)
- Ridgefield Spudders (Ridgefield, Washington)
- Johnson Atom Smashers (Savannah, Georgia)
- New Braunfels Unicorns (New Braunfels, Texas)
- Watersmeet Nimrods (Watersmeet, Michigan
- New Berlin Pretzels (New Berlin, Illinois)
- Vintage Crushers (Napa, California)
- Yuba City Honkers (Yuba City, California)
- Centralia High School Orphans (boys teams) & Annies (girls teams)
- And . . . The Millineum Falcons from near Tracy, CA.
(Hat tip: Coach Huey.)